Wednesday 19 August 2009

July, 2009: Sapporo, Hokkaido


The first time I was in Sapporo about 12 years ago, a heavy downpour basically kept me in my hostel, doing nothing but to sample the Sapporo beer.
Fortunately, after the rain on the previous day, I arrive in Sapporo from Wakkanai on a sunny day. With a chance to walk about, I headed for the Sapporo Beer museum.
The museum is actually in the compound of what used to be a brewery. Apparently, small batches of beer are still brewed within the museum. Most of the buildings here are handsome-looking red brick buildings, some with hop plants crawling on their facade.
The kind I imagine I would like to be in during winter, with fire crackling in a corner.
Because this is Hokkaido, even a beer museum will emphasis on the spirit of exploration. Beer is not just a golden drink, but rather the result of some men's great effort in building up a brewery industry during the Meiji period.

No comments: