Thursday 3 September 2009

July, 2009: Otaru, Hokkaido

Otaru, I was told is a nice place. But why, I am not sure. The only thing that seems to be mention on brochures and adverisements about the place is the canal and the warehouses by its side. So, I can't understand why it is such a big deal. I couldn't appreciate Warehouse disco when it is still a functioning disco.

But I have to agree it is a nice place once there. The first thing is part of the train track on the way from Sapporo and Otaru is closed to the sea. Reminds me of the train trip from Columbo to Galle in Sri Lanka.

Otaru got rich years ago from its harbour and warehouses. And the rich probably pour their wealth into their houses. Walking along the streets of Otaru, near the old warehouse area, the houses come in all shape, sizes and styles. Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each other.
The one above is the "Immortal Tower" Check out the clock on top of the tower. There are no hands......hence immortal.

I was a week too early for the Otaru Summer matsuri. The town centre was already all dressed up for the festival, though:















Fortunately, the Otaru local Taiko team was playing a free show to promote their matsuri on the following week.


No comments: