Tuesday 15 February 2011

June, 2010: Day 2 - The Trans-Mongolia: Inner Mongolia, China to Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia


And so, we rolled on.
With the custom formalities all worked out at Erlian station, entering Mongolia was a non-event, with only a huge dimly-lit signboard welcoming us. 7023km of railroad lies ahead. The distance marker by the sign of the track appears to by '8'. I guess we are just 8km down the Mongolian section of the railroad.
The next morning, the scenery outside changes again, the steppes of Inner Mongolia given way to the Gobi desert.
The first thing to do when I got up of bed was to check out the food situation. The Chinese restaurant car was replaced by a Mongolian one (either that, or someone really did pimped up my restaurant car) sometime last night. It was now all wood-panelling with a hunting theme. The food is no longer free now. Oh, how I missed the communist state of China. Mentally, I re-ration my food supply for the next 3 days.
A Mongolian sleeper carriage has also been shunted on the previous night.

Choyr station, the train having travelled about 500km since crossing the border. Here, the stations name are in cryllic.
I went for lunch, the Mongolian waiter was recommending the steppe platter, something that would set me back about 30US$. I decided to go for mutton, which was more affordable at 12 US$.
The one thing I missed from when I was last in Mongolia was their mutton dishes. So it didn't take me long to polish off the plate.

After lunch, we seems to be leaving the Gobi behind as the steppe made its appearance.
Still, I guess this is harsh terrain. Witness death by the railway track.
Soon after lunch, the pasengers were stirring into action. From the number of them packing up, I supposed many would be alighting at Ulaan Baatar, capital city of Mongolia. They gathered on the corridor, exchanging notes on tourist info and phone numbers and fixing dates to meet in the city. The American in my room appeared to be travelling with his younger brother, who paid for a 1st class room with its attached shower. Which is why all the white guys seemed freshed and clean, probably having took turns in the shower. The American consulted the Mongolian roommate, and was assured that it would be safe for them to venture into the nightclubs (although, according to the Mongolian, a Chinese would easily run into Mongolians who are out to pick a fight).
MAY 2011 UPDATE--Trouble on the Steppe (...looks like the Mongolian's info was quite insider):
Now back to 2010...The excitment reached its cresendo as the track makes a wide arc as the K3 makes it approach into Ulann Baatar. By now almst everyone is on the corridor by the windows.
This is the capital city, but don't expect any tall buildings. Having been in UB some 4 years ago, the sight looks famiilar to me: the power stations' smoke towers, the graffiti on walls along the track, and the railway 'museum' (with retired engines) right before the train slides into UB station.

No comments: