Friday 28 October 2011

July, 2011: 国境以南, 太阳以西 Week1 PartIII MONTERREY, Sierra Madre, the North Face


Since stepping out of Monterrey airport, it has been obvious that the city is surrounding by mountain ranges. After moving downtown, the mountains were right there outside the hotel room. And I couldn't resist taking a hike up.
So on Sunday morning, after stocking up on some drinks and food at the convinient store near the hotel, I took the short trip to Chipinque Park (Parque Ecológico Chipinque, in Spanish) on a taxi. But not before stopping by a used car dealer.
Chipinque Park is the natural reserve within the Sierra Madre mountain range (which means Mother mountain range). The taxi stop at the gate, and you purchase a ticket for entry to the park. Cars are allowed into the park, although there are rangers to lookout for speeding. There is a visitor centre near the entrance, where there are English maps printed on thickly-laminated paper, good if it rain on your hike. Although the ranger there don't speak English.
The map that they were handing out list the hiking route as easy and difficult. Easy route are really road for motorised vehicle, longer but not as steep. The difficult and moderate route cut right into the forest. I don't plan to come all the way to be walking alongside cars (could have done it back in town), and while I don't regret choosing the difficlt route, I regret not having my breakfast first. Picking my way up the steps, it didn't take long for me to feel my blood sugar level dropping fast. Once at the first resting point, I actually took a nap. But, after sipping on the sugary drink and some equally sugarly Bimbo cupcakes, I was rejuverated. Bimbo is a brand name belonging to a food company, it is also sponser of some popular soccer team. So all over Mexico you see men and women in jersey with BIMBO across their chest.
To get to the true summit of the mountain, you will need a permit from the visitor centre, and need to start the climb much earlier in the morning. For leisure climbers, the summit is a little park equiped with playground, restaurant, car park and hotel. That Sunday, and I guess most weekends, the place were crowded.
But I guess the main reason to make the way up is for the paranomic view it affords.
The park provides free transport to and fro downtown, though not frequently. And the Spanish-speaking ranger couldn't really confirm to me the time table of the bus back downtown. Anyway I got on one in the afternoon and was dropped off at a bus terminal in downtown Alameda.
It looks like Alameda is Indian central. Many who looks like Aztec Indians were spending their Sunday at the park nearby. It is here I got to try out some local food. All week in Monterrey, the people I met and the food I have tried were quite Americanised.
After Chipinque Park, next weekend...the Copper Canyon.

No comments: