Wednesday 25 January 2012

September, 2011: S.C Corinthians Paulista vs Esporte Clube Bahia, Brasileirao 2011

Going by the football jersey they don, the loyalty of the cityfolks of Sao Paulo (or Paulista, as they call themselves) is divided between Sao Paulo football club and Corinthians. There is no denying Brazil is one of the giants in World football, but most of the Brazilian seems to gain worldwide recognition after they started playing for one of the European clubs. I have to admit I am not really familiar with the Brazilian clubs. I don't even think Singapore Pools accept bets for the Brazilian first division, Brasileirao as it is called. But I was determined to watch a Brasileirao match in the stadium.

During the week day, Sao Paulo played Corinthians, which is the local Sao Paulo derby, dubbed the Classico. But I was warned against going by the Brazilian, as emotion can run high. As I watch the match on the TV, I could see the advise was quite valid. On the screen, the police was "pre-emptively" hitting at fans who looks like ready to cause trouble. Even days after the match, the TV was still showing clips of the match and pundits were analysing it. Incidentally, it was the same week the F1 circus was in Singapore. I notice that in this city with ahighway named after Ayrton Senna, no one looks like paying much attention to the races on TV.
The next chance to catch a match in SP was when Corinthian played Bahia. Actually quite a few big name played for the club. Including Socrates, who passed away in 2011, and Ronaldo, who was overweigh by the time he returned from Europe and played in Brazil.

Before heading for the afternoon kickoff, I made my way to the Praca de Republica, where they have a food and arts market on Sunday. I wasn't much interested in the arts market, so giving it a cursory look.
I was more interested in the food market. Especially so when I found out there were quite a few Chinese stall there, selling Bee Hoon (or Bifum as they are called here) and fried prawn cakes.
By the time I am done with the market, it was close to kickoff. I took the subway to the stadium. It right behind a cemetary and not hard to find: I just followed the couple wearing the Corinthian jersey all the way from the metro station. Although I couldn't follow them in through the same gate, looks like they are season-ticket holders. I was advise by the security to get my ticket from the windows by one of the wall.
It's apparent that security is tight. Going by the stadium riot that sometimes occurred in South America, I could understand why. I needed some help from an away fan with translation between me and the ticket lady. I was asked to present my ID. It looks like all ticket are sold with the ID number printed right on the ticket. I guess if a riot breaks out, it is easier for the police to track down those possible culprit that were in the stadium. I have a choice of Home or Away stand. I picked the Away stand.
From the away stand, I was afforded a better view of the home fans.

No comments: