Sunday 14 August 2011

July, 2011: 国境の南, 太陽の西  South of the Border, Prelude

A year ago when I left Moscow, I would not have imagined I would be back so soon. Strictly speaking, I wasn't back, just transitting in Moscow Domodedovo airport, on the way to Mexico. Mexico via Moscow.
If not for a fortunate turn of event, I would, in this summer, likely have continue from where I left off in Moscow last summer: fly into Moscow, travel by train into Helsinki, Finland, and all the way to Nordkapp by bus. But sometimes in June, the news was that there will be a project in Mexico. Great!
My plan was to finished up travelling north (stopping at Nordkapp) and start travelling south by train. South America would be the likely candidate. It looks like I would have to start south earlier than planned.
The fact is, Mexico isn't really south of the border. Not MY border anyway. It is south of the USA-Mexico border alright. I know that from an old song by Frank Sinatra (South of the Border), by way of a Murakami Haruki novel (South of the Border, West of the Sun). But with the Tropic of Cancer (北回归线) running through it, it is still north of the Equator. So, I am still heading in the general direction of north, although no longer limited to Asia-Europe.
Well, it's a long way from Singapore to Mexico. So, many thanks for SIA Inflight entertainment. Including this little gem only the Japanese could have come up with: 阪急電車 片道15分の奇跡.
Before getting into Mexico, there is a little inconvenience of transitting in Houston. Texas. It was on the inter-terminals tram in the airporty that I heard the news that USA is playing Japan in the FIFAWomen's World Cup final that very afternoon: "I hope the USA win..because it's my country. But I am OK if the Japanese team. Well...they played well....and they did have an earthquake recently".
No prize for guessing which side the majority here were rooting for. Japan played USA into extra time, before winning through penalty kicks.
More than 24hrs after leaving Changi Airport, I finally arrived in Mexico. Monterrey isn't such a nice place as an introduction to Mexico. In fact, I spent my first week not far from the airport. It's kindna like a dusty cowboy town. One main street with bars, saloons and hotels.
In the case of Monterrey Aeropuerto (Spanish for airport), it was one highway, a Crowne Plaza, one Ibis, one Holiday Inn and a bunch of restaurants (Chilli's, Carl's Jr, etc).

No comments: