Sunday 21 October 2012

五月, 2012: 法蘭克福 -> 海德堡, 德國

When I was transiting into Africa from Frankfurt, I got the chance to walk around the Frankfurt station area. I wandered into the city redlight district. It was too early for any of the illicit action, but I did find some accomodation options in the RLD. There is actually a youth hostel within the RLD. There were at least 2 budget hostel, just like the Fragrance and 88 in the lorongs of Geylang. But stepping out of the Frankfurt station after arriving from Oslo, I wanted to try out other options.

The hotels right in front of the station looked too expensive. I followed a banner advertisement out the side of the station. There really were a lot of hotels. All less than 5 storey tall, with lobbies modestly done up. But when I walk in and ask, most doesn't seem to be interested in my business. In any case, either there were no room for the night,or the rate too high for me.

While it was still early for the RLD, out on the side streets by the side of the station, I could see a guy who looked to be peddling drugs from a doorstep. After about half an hour checking around, it was almost the commute hours. I could see the businesstypes emerging from the hotel, all suited up swing their briefcases and laptop bags. No wonder there was no rooms. Frankfurt station is, almost literally, in the shadow of the tall buildings of one of the biggest business and finance district of the world.

I was not about to give up. I decided to check with the tourist info counter by the wing of the station, which was open for business by now. I approached the lady at the counter and name my budget. she ring up a potential hotel, then wrote an address down. "Walk right in front of the station, then turn left after the first crossing after the tramline." said her. I suspected that's exactly the hotel in the RLD. I was right, fate has brought  us together, I couldn't defy her.

I checked into a nice clean room, again given a large double room at the price of a single. The joy of travelling in the shoulder season.

I headed out, but not before scanning the tourist brochure by the reception. There were a number of pamphlets with discount to the many strip joints and "gentlemen clubs" around the hotel.
Munich has her MarienPlatz, and Frankfurt has her Romberg. It's the central town square not far from the hotel.

On the way there, I could see the Occupy Movement had set up tents in Frankfurt.


Frankfurt was subjected to heavy Allied bombing during WWII, so while the Romberg is a nice place to visit, much of it was rebuilt after the war. A street artist was plying his/her trade with a static performance of seemingly levitating. A group of Chinese tourist, their Japanese DSLR hanging down their neck were trying to work out how he did it. It's a bit like openly discussing the secret of a trick right in front of a performing magician: 網民破解劉謙春晚魔術。

By lunch time, I have walked down one bank on the River Mainz, and up the other. There was still a day worth of travel on my railpass, so I was thinking I shouldn't waste that. I need to make a short day trip out, but where? The tourist brochure provided the answers. They were offering day tour from Frankfurt, and one was the most popular destination was Heidelberg, about an hour away by express train.

Right outside the Jewish Museum of Frankfurt, I decided I should spent the afternoon in Heidelberg.
 
I wandered back to the station, across what look like a immigrant district of the city. There were a row of kebab shops, with Chinese and other Asian restaurant. The bookshop there were carrying foreign newspaper. Foreign as in not European.

I rushed back in to the station, checked out the time table on the walls. There were frequent trains running between Frankfurt and Heidelberg. An express leaves within half an hour. I got on the train, but felt it better if I need a seat reservation with the railpass. "No problem, just go right in." said the DB conductor. I got on  into a three seat first class compartment. A hugh German businesstype came on before the train pulled out. Laptop on the desk, bespoke suit on the armrest. When he saw me taking pictures of the sene outside the window, he offered his window seat facing the direction of travel.

With just an afternoon to take in the sight, I head right to the tourist info right outside the station. I ask for one thing: the direction to the old town (but not for the white coffee.) The staff there point me to the metallic equestrain sculpture right across the street. Just follow the main street after the horse.

I didn't expect such a long main street. Before the old district, I need to get past a shopping street. I don't remember seeing any kebab shops, but there were Chinese restaurants and a Asian emporium. There were the usual snack bars, pharmacy and fashion shop. Including one named Hell's Kitchen.
 
I always thought Hell's Kitchen is a tough neighborhood in New York where Daredevil stakes his claim to.


After tbe shopping streets, the old town finally made its appearance, with its preserved old buildings. Heidelberg is a node on what is known as the Romantic Road.
 
I believe this originally has more to do with the old buildings preserved in the Romantic architectural style than our modern interpretation of the word "romantic".
 
The modern interpretation seems to be associated with a couple, throw in lavish gift of jewelry, candlelight dinner, walks by the sea and under dim gaslight. Of course, if this association can bring in the tourist dollars, the cities on the Romantic Road would not mind.
 But this cobble-stoned Romantic Road is killing my feet today.

I associate Heidelberg with castles, since there is a 堡(fortess) in 海德堡(Heidelberg)。 There actually is a old castle in Heidelberg. As the street that runs through the old town disappeared into tunnels under a hill, the castle is found atop the hill.

I picked my way up the stairs and slope of the hill. There are a number of large manors on the slope, each with its pointy steeples. Some are hotels, but other look like private residents. The owners must be filty rich.

After an exhausting climb, I finally reached the castle. At the entrance a opportunistic kiosk has a Coca-Cola advertisement board hanging by its door: Thirsty?


At least the view from the top is worth the climb up.
 
 
 
Aside from the old town, Heidelberg university town is also known as a university town.

 
 
 
 
One of the popular method to go around the town is the bicycle. Youth of both european and asian extracts, students I supposed, zipped around on their bicycle, as I made my way back to the station.

This is the first time in this entire trip that I need to rush down to the platform to catch a train. The next direct train back to Franfurt was about 2 hours away. I decided to leave early.








No comments: