Saturday 19 April 2008

March 2006: Dakka, Bangladesh


The guy who works with me in Bangladesh, a telecom engineer, is proud of his country on two accounts: 1, that it is the most densely populated country in the world; and 2, that he could throw his rubbish any which way he likes on the street. He actually demonstrated the second point on the street of Dakka with a PET bottle which content he just emptied into his stomach. "You can't do that in Singapore, can you." Not a pretty beginning to a beautiful relationship.....It probably has something to do with my decision not to take any train ride on this country.

The trip to Dakka was a short one. Arriving on a Wednesday, work through Thurday and Friday, then sign up for a city tour with the hotel travel desk. The 100+ bucks paid for the trip comes with a private car (Toyota, if you must know), a driver and a English-speaking guide. After all the spots on the itinery were covered, I asked to be taken to the city train station. So here are some pictures of the station and the platform.






At the station, I asked that the guide buy me a train ticket. "Where are you going?" he asked. "If you are not going anywhere, why buy a ticket?", he asked, after a I told him I am going nowhere, that I would like a ticket to the nearest train station. He did go up to the ticket counter when I explained that I would like a ticket for keepsake,. However, he came back, looking defeated, explaining that the ticket seller has refuse to sell him the ticket if no one intends to make the trip. He promised to try again. Settling me down at a snack and drinks stall nearby, he trooped back to the ticket counter, "I will find a way", he promised. This time he was successful. Whatever trick he pulled remain a mystery to this day, but it worked.




--KIV--





No comments: