Thursday 6 December 2012

六月, 2012: 聖母院, 巴黎, 法國

The next day, I decided to head for the Paris-Lyon train station to arrange for my trip out of Paris. The line at the Gare du Nord is probably too long. It was the right choice. When I got there, a couple of customers were being served at the single open counter. The guy at the other counter was just getting up for his break. The third counter, a technician was checking out the computer. Luckily, there were only one more person ahead of me in the queue. I was serve by another young lady. I double-checked the info I was given at Gare du Nord. They were just load of belloni, crap. She was at least able to give me the Eurail map, instead of the Interrail map, and confirmed that the Eurail pass is not valid for travel in Turkey. Although she wasn't really sure what is the current situation with the international rail link to Greece. I guess when it comes to Greece, no one can be sure these day. Anyway, I felt more assured to go ahead and purchase the Eurail pass. Only to be told, when booking the night train to Milan, that the route is not valid with the pass.

The Paris-Milan overnight route is probably lucrative enough for it to be taken over by a private rail operator. Since it is not run by the French national railway, my pass is useless. I have to go for the alternate, an early morning train out. Having done that:


Me: "So, I will just board the train in Lyon?"
She: "No, no, no. Lyon is another city in France. You have to come here...Paris-Lyon station."
For a split second, I was comtemplating having the last words: "Oh I see, actually Milano is not a city in Italy, it is a pizza restaurant in Singapore." (Used to be, anyway)
I decided to just thank her instead.


Well, when it comes to train station, it can get confusing in Paris. There are quite a few. Gare du Nord is mainly for train heading north, and to England. Paris-Lyon largely for those heading South and Italy. Both are featured in the Mr. Bean movie. Since he is English, he came in to Paris at Gare du Nord, and then headed out to Canne at Paris-Lyon.

Le Train Bleu is the station restaurant he had his lunch, with that hilarious sequence of him tackling the seafood.
 
Some may find it too lowbrow, too slapstick, but it did manage to crack my mum up.
 
There used to be a Gare Montparnasse, which no longer exists That's the one Hugo was set in.

With the ticket settled, I need a room for the night. I just roamed the streets outside the station, hoping to find one. A good thing about hotel here is that the star rating of the hotel is given at the door. The prices for each class of room are also posted near the entrance. It save you from walking in, and the embarassment of backing out when the price is beyond your budget. The sign at one of the hotel caught my eyes: the Hotel Mistral.

I walk in and ask for a room. Great, there was one for the night. Seeing that I have only a small bag with me (the heavy stuff were still in a locker at the hostel), the receptionist asked if I am ok with a room right on the top floor. Not a problem with me, if the 'penthouse' cost the same. A mistake one should never make in a smaller hotel in Europe. That's six floor up, withOUT an elevator.

With the room settled, I headed out for the Notre Dame. We may now talk of Paris in term of the left and right banks of Seine, but the earliest settler of Paris actually made their home in one of two islands right in the middle of the river. The most prominent building on the island Île de la Cité now is the Church of Notre Dame. It actually is a rather small church, in size, not in fame. Beside it is a statue of king Charlemange on horseback. A small crowd outside were trying to coax the sparrows to land on their fingertips, with various degree of success. And of course, there is the queue. Not too long, and was moving briskly.

If I actually know a bit of architecture, I may appreciate the church better. As it was, I can only say it was dim, and the rule to be respectfully quiet was observed. If I had a wild night before, I probably would have nodded off on the bench.



The only significant thing the church had for me is that Joan of Arc was beatified here. For many years after her death, she was regarded as a herectic by the church that she fought for. The Notre Dame was something like a religious supreme court, overturning her earlier 'convictions'. Her statue here looks up to heaven, all pious, quite unlike the warrior riding into battle in her armour.

The sides of the church is where you can find the gargolyes. That is also where the real queue was. The queue for the climb up the church is the real long, slow queue.
 
And I thought the queue was brisk. Across the road is a restaurant by the name of Esmeralda.
 
Looks like the whole Hunchback of Notre Dame is here, minus the man himself.

The Plank man strikes again.

 
I had to head back to the hostel to retreive my backpack. There was a tofu store ran by some Chinese guys, selling nothing but tofu.


你就像豆腐(豆腐) 
豆腐(豆腐)
吹彈可破的肌膚在試練我功夫 

功夫(功夫) 
功夫(功夫)
The hostel is by the bank of a small tributary of the Seine, and there was a small marina next to it. When the boats need to get in or out of the marina, the bridge in front of the hostel has to be lifted up by a set of pulleys and wheels and cables. I was just in time to see this "Pont Ouvert" and "Pont en Manoeuvre".

 
Heading back to the Hotel Mistral with my heavy backpack, I realize two things: the hotel wasn't actually THAT close to the station; and a 'penthouse' at a hotel with no lift is not such a good idea.

No comments: