Thursday 6 December 2012

六月, 2012: 凱旋門, 巴黎, 法國

Some said the Arc de Triomphe is the most famous traffic circle in the wall. And I guess the Champ Elysees is probably one of the most famous shopping strip. Walking down the Champs Elysees from the Arc is kind of like walking from Newton Circus down Orchard Road.

Before heading out to the Arc, it was told that it's not possible to extend my stay at the Mistral for another night. The hotel was booked rock solid for the night. They even gave me a call in my room to remind me it was time to vacate. Looks like summer vacation is in full swing in Paris. I checked out of the room, left my luggages with the reception and heading out. As for my next room for the night, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Lunch for the day was Japanese buffet. 
At under 15Euro, it was really value for money. I thought it was run by Japanese, but once the staff spoke, I knew they were Chinese. On the way to the Arc, saw some protestors...ermmm...protesting. Over what, I have no idea since I couldn't read the French on the banners they were holding.

This being Paris, and this being summer, there was a queue to get up the Arc. In fact, I could see a queue snaking out from the Louis Vuitton stop on the Champ Elysees.
 

 
Under the Arc is the grave of the Unknow Soldier. That grave actually overlook the Champs Elysees. It's like telling the unknown soldier what he gave his life for: shopping, tourists, Cartier, LV? Wonder if the soldier turns in his grave.

 
I was about to leave the Arc when a few old men in military uniform start waving the visitors away from the grave. They then condone off the central area under the Arc. The old chaps were lining up the younger soldiers for muster. They were taking their task rather seriously, and were all dressed up with medals hanging on their coats. A military band then came and join in. The tri-colors were out, too.

I thought today was a special day in French history.

But when a group of school children came in, I reckon the whole thing was for some school kids making a field trip to the Arc. Speeches were made, and wreaths were placed on the grave for the unknown soldiers.
 


 
Turkey actually has a tourist promotion bureau on the Champs Elysees.
I went down the length down the Champs Elysees.
 
Beyond that was the USA embassy, as expected, there were guards at the entrance. The whole day, the sky was gloomy and it was always threatening to open up.


 
Probably the summer fair had to wait after the rainy season. But, already you could the preparation to put up the rides, including this King Kong themed one.

I was cursing the gloomy weather the entire afternoon, still thinking how great European weather was back in May: sunny but cool. 
At least the gloomy weather wasn't that bad compared to the hot one I would encounter as I made my way east.  

No comments: