Sunday 2 December 2012

六月: Gare Voyageurs de Yaounde, (Yaounde Railway Station) Cameroun

It was week 3 in Yaounde. About time to leave. I knew, in all likelihood, I wouldn't be back in Camroun.
I wanted to see the train station.

Before I left, I would like to spin over to the train station for a look. I asked the company driver if we could drive pass the station on the way to the office. The station is not exactly on the way, but it is not too far either. He was ok about it.




One of the busier street looks like a international street. There were Chinese restaurants, European laundry, American schools and French style beauty salon.

The driver spoke good English. Seeing that most here in Cameroun speaks French, I ask if English is his first language. He say it is, and that he is not from Yaounde, but from western Cameroun. I made a guess if that was near the Cameroun-Nigeria border. It is. Seems like, closer to Nigeria, the more English speakers there are.

I was expecting the Yaounde station to be quiet, just like the Douala station. But as the truck approaches the station, I could see that it was, rather, a pretty happening place.



It looks like the station was recently given a fresh paint of bright red and white. Outside, was a broad muddy road. Wooden stalls lined both side of the road. The stalls were either grocers or eating establishments. The crowd were milling about on foot, or were on motorbike.

Very soon, I noticed there were uniform personnel on the road or in the stall. They were either police or soldiers. I ask the driver if we would get into trouble with the authority if I get down for photoes. With a smile, he said that's probably not the best of ideas. So, I suggest we drive down the road to the end, and
back up again, while I took pictures from my seat with stealth.

There were already a queue forming by that gate to the station. I guess there is a train leaving soon.
 

A Camrail engine approaches the station, but I couldn't tell if it was pulling cargo or a passenger train.
 

On the day I left, Cameroun played Guinea Bissou. The home team left it late to score to put the result at 1-0. The staff at the hotel probably followed the game in the office behind the reception. The goal brought out a loud cheer from that office.
On the way to the airport, a few billboard by the road were advertising Kronenbourg 1664 beer. The Eiffel Tower stand besides the beer can and bottle. They seem to serve as Akan Datang movie billboards, announcing what is to come next.




No comments: